<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"> // Supply ads personalization default for EEA readers // See https://www.blogger.com/go/adspersonalization adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []; if (typeof adsbygoogle.requestNonPersonalizedAds === 'undefined') { adsbygoogle.requestNonPersonalizedAds = 1; } </script> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d7559722843108329311\x26blogName\x3dThe+Lake+Clinic+Kambodscha\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_HOSTED\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://www.lakeclinic.de/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://www.lakeclinic.de/\x26vt\x3d-126933417514213543', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

On the 29th of September, Dr. Hal Kussick made a decision to bicycle across Australia in the hope of raising both awareness for The Lake Clinic-Cambodia and money--of course.

The Route...

The following are e-mails that he is sending to keep us up to date on his adventure thus far.

16 October, 2007

Greetings from australia,

I'm 5 days into the ride(rode 4 of them). I started in fremantle, on the indian ocean, and have gone about 600k east so far. today's a rest day, as 188k into a brutal headwind yesterday wore me out. also, I figure a few rest days early on while my conditioning builds will be helpful.

it's pretty desolate out here. a 150k or more between very small towns, or even simple roadhouses is common. it will be like this for at least the next 10-12 days. as long as the headwinds relent, all should be fine.

I'll keep you posted as internet access permits. thanks for all your encouragement,

29 October, 2007

had a good 167k today. will need to do 192k tomo to get to a roadhouse to stay. sorry about the camera. hope to sort it soon. I may be out of cell or computer range for the next 8-9 days.

my mantra: the pain is temporary; quiting stays w/ you forever. one day at a time. somehow I'll get there.

30 October, 2007

hello again,

I'm finally back in a place where there's e-mail; the first town of any kind in 7 days. Since I last checked in, I've managed to advance the things a bit further east. After 11 days of riding I'm 1960km/1225miles along. I just finished crossing the Nullarbor Plain; 1200km of unpopulated bush.

The only civilization are widely spaced roadhouses with marginal quality motels attached. Since I'm traveling very light; with only about 6-7kg of gear and clothes, I'm obliged to stay in them.

Riding conditions have improved considerably since last week. I've been averaging 180k/111miles a day. And last Saturday I logged a day for the ages. The biking stars and planets aligned perfectly; yielding smooth, straight roads, good weather, a cyclist(me) in improving condition, and a biblical tail wind.

Sensing something big could happen, I decided to stay on the bike as long as daylight and a reasonably placed stopping point permitted. 11 hrs later(9hrs 40min in the saddle) I was 351k/218miles closer to Sydney. This is a day I'm sure I will NEVER be able to repeat. This is 130k/80miles further than I've ever done in one day on a bicycle.

I'm now in the small town of Ceduna, along the south coast. Two days ago I saw the sea cliffed coast line of the Southern Ocean; the most spectacular coast I've ever seen.

Unfortunately, most of the wildlife I've seen has been road-kill. At one point there was a smashed kangaroo every 500 meters for sevral hundred km. I understand now why the locals here put 'roo bars' on their cars.
Remember; if you can smell the road-kill before you see it, you're fighting a headwind!

Physically, I'm still hanging in there. Although my neck has been a bit of trouble, and I had some knee pain. Every thing hurts about what I expected. I've lost a bit of hand strength/feeling from compressing the nerves on the handlebars; but this happened years ago as well, when I rode across the US. It recovered completely a few weeks after I finished.

Otherwise; the people are friendly, the weather's ok, and the food unhealthy.

more later, hal

7 November, 2007

The Wind Giveth and the Wind Taketh Away

hi there,

a quick update, as the tele-center in balranald, australia where I am now, closes in 15 mins.

in the 9 days since I last checked in I've covered a fair amount of ground. I'm about 3150km in. about 900km, or so, to sydney; and am in the state of new south wales

the main turn of events is the weather.

last week I spend a whole day in driving rains(their first in 10 months!) and now the wind has changed direction so that it has been directly in my face a 20-30kph for the last 4 days. I had lost a days time to it, as it has slowed me some much, but yesterday the wind relented just a bit so I decided to suck-it-up, and bring this thing to its knees.

I pedaled for 10 and 1/2 hrs. did 258k/160 miles. I managed to win back the day I lost to the winds two days before.this is my true one days record, not that 350k wind drive magic-carpet ride 10 days ago.

today the wind picked up again, and I could only manage, will everything I had, to do 21kph for 160k; and I'm thoughly cooked now. I was planning on trying top push a bit to sydney, but the wind has really taken all the fun out of it at this point(forgive my lack of enthusiasm, I've only been off the bike for 5 mins from today's ride and am still a bit frustrated by the whole thing).

we'll see what happens tomorrow.

thanks for your continuing support; especially on these sub-optimal riding days.

15 November, 2007

Hi Everyone,

This past Monday I ran out of east-bound road and arrived at the end of my journey, Sydney's Bondi Beach and the Pacific Ocean.

I had set out twenty-five days, and 4026kms/2500 miles earlier from Fremantle, Western Australia and the Indian Ocean.

Due to very limited internet access I wasn't able to update you all more frequently (which you may be happy for). Remember, Australia's roughly the size of the lower 48 US states, with less than 10% of the population.

Since my last, brief update last week, here's what's happened:

The head winds ramped back up, especially as I crossed the barren 200km of the Hay Plain in New S. Wales, the day after my last update. There was a strong high pressure system locked-in off the south coast which created unusual anti-clockwise easterly winds. With nothing to block the strong easterly winds(this is a place where you see tumbleweeds), I was forced to use maximum energy to maintain a depressing 20kph/12.5mph pace.

Five straight days of this was really demoralizing, especially as I'd hoped to finish the last 1000kms strongly, with some big days, as my fitness level was getting pretty high by this point. You have to have a short memory I think, to get back on the bike everyday when it's like this. The increased, accumulated fatigue made my legs feel a bit like lead, especially when starting up again after a stop.

I figure the wind added one to two extra days to the final 1500kms. At least I finally saw some living wildlife; emus, kangaroos and wallabies, and eagles. None of them seemed to be too bothered by the wind.

The last few days before Sydney, the wind started to abate as I left the wheat fields and the plains, and entered the hills of the Great Dividing Range and then the Blue Mts. I put together a few big days here (196k/122mls followed by 225k/140mls), to set things up to be in Sydney on Monday, the 12th.

When I booked my return flight some time back, I, somewhat optimistically, gave myself only 27 days, returning to Singapore on Nov. 14th. I also wanted at least a full day in Sydney to see the sights; so I was now pushing it a bit to make the "crime fit the sentence", so-to-speak.

I only took two rest days, on the 5th and 16th days of the trip. I may have also gotten a bit caught up in that obsession of some east-coast(U.S.) drivers of "making good time", too. In the end, I did make the flight with a day to spare, and got to fly on SIA's new double decker Airbus A380 as well.

The final day and a half were a mixture of good and bad. I was happy that the wind had fallen off, and the scenery had greatly improved over the drought plagued center of the country. I was even enjoying the hills.

Unfortunately, the traffic had really increased, and the roads were perhaps the most unsafe I've ever ridden. Very poor pavement quality and potholes(almost 3rd world-esque), coupled with large stretches of road without a shoulder of any kind, and some huge trucks made this really un-fun.

The only break from this came from the 40kms I spent on the M4 motorway (Sydney's version of I-90). On the final bit through Sydney's CBD to Bondi Beach, I stayed right on the tail of a city bus to blaze a clear path for me as there was no extra space on the side of the road for a bike. Upon reaching the Ocean, I think I mostly felt relief from just finishing these last sections of the ride safely, more than any great elation.

All-in-all, it took twenty-three riding days, and twenty-five days total to do the trip. I averaged 175k/109miles a day on the days I rode.

I got four flat tires, but otherwise had no mechanical issues. Other than the weakness in my hands right now from nerve compression against the handlebars, I feel pretty good, and am looking forward to running again now. My pre-trip issues of neck and knee pain while training, actually improved during the ride. Once your body adapts a bit, it's not as hard as you'd think to spend the whole day on a bicycle.

If you were wondering; no, I didn't have any great any epiphanies during the long hours of riding. I usually occupied my mind with time/distance calculations, listening to my Ipod, the occasional daydream, or thinking about how to adjust my positioning on the bike to relieve some ache or soreness.

Everything really went as smoothly as I could have ever hoped for, and with all of your help, we raised/are still raising quite a bit of money for a great cause. The ride will be a great, life-long memory for me. I, of course, already knew that there's still plenty of good fun to be had after forty, but it's always good to have a success to reinforce it. And, if nothing else, the north(left) side of my body got a great tan.

In the next day or so, I'll get all the needed financial details for all of you who so generously supported me and the Lake Clinic. Knowing that you were behind me DEFINITELY helped me immensely, especially during some of the lower points of the journey. I really appreciated all the messages of support as well.

Perhaps in the next few weeks I'll organize a brief presentation(in Singapore) about the trip.


SPENDEN: Helfen Sie TLC mit Ihrer Spende über Angkors Kinder e.V.*

Angkors Kinder Spendenkonto:
Sparkasse Hanauerland Kehl
BLZ: 66451862
Kontonummer: 104224
Empfänger: Angkors Kinder e.V.
Verwendungszweck: TLC

*Spenden über Angkors Kinder sind für Staatsangehörige und Ansässige der Bundesrepublik Deutschland steuerlich absetzbar. Bei Spenden bis zu 200 Euro, genügt Ihr Kontoauszug als Bescheinigung beim Finanzamt. Eine Spendenquittung sendet Ihnen Angkors Kinder e.V. ab einem Spendenbetrag von 200 Euro natürlich gerne zu. Bitte übermitteln Sie uns in diesem Fall Ihre postalische Adresse an: spenden@lakeclinic.de